Three Employment Laws You Must Know as an Employer in Canada

If you are ready to set up a MonAvocat business in Canada you need to have some awareness of the labor laws in this country.  For the most part, you will probably already be in adherence to them, as many laws are written with common sense in mind, but more specific knowledge of these employer laws ensure that you can run your business with peace of mind that you are treating your people right and running a legal, fair business.

With that in mind, then, here are a few employer laws you should know about if you are going to operate an independent business in the country of Canada.


Even businesses that you plan to run yourself might, eventually, have the need to bring in more people.  At some point every small business will have to expand to at least a few other people and when that happens, you are going to need to have an understanding of the laws associated with paying employees, tracking payroll, taxes, and all other related information. This can include:

  • employment insurance premiums
  • personal income tax codes
  • Canadian pension/retirement plans


Managing payroll, too, can involve:


  • opening payroll accounts at the bank for each of your employees
  • acquiring important payroll-related information for each employee
  • calculating and paying your employees according to their personal deductions
  • keeping accurate—and long term—records


When you own a company in Canada, the government will also require that you register your employees with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) within 10 days of their start date.  The goal of the WSIB is to reduce the risk for work-related injuries, fatalities, and illnesses.  The benefits of registering for the WSIB will include:

  • the assisting of employees in recovering from illness or injury, in order to return to work
  • insurance, which covers the associated costs of injury-related earnings losses
  • no-fault liability insurance
  • work-related law suit protection
  • accident prevention
  • safety training


Finally, as an employer you will also be required to pay Employer Health Tax for all employees who are:

  • employed at your permanent establishment
  • attached or associated with this related permanent address
  • employed with your company and paid through the permanent address’s financial department but might work at another address

Related posts